Aspect Behaviour Support Consultancy is a fee for service program of Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect), Australia’s largest autism specific independent service provider. The Consultancy specialises in positive behaviour support for children, young people and adults with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Consultancy clients include families and government and non-government service providers.
Aspect Behaviour Support Consultancy’s works within a person centred framework with individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to develop their skills and contribute to improving their quality of life. Our goal is their active participation in the community, developing rewarding relationships and enabling them to be more independent and make choices. The Consultancy takes an individualised approach to working with carers, respecting their expertise and knowledge. It works in partnership with service providers to build capacity and resilience through developing knowledge and practical skills.
The Consultancy’s evidence based and data driven positive behaviour support approach meets the Association for Positive Behaviour Supports Standards for Practice and the requirements of the Ageing Disability and Home Care (ADHC) Policy and Practice Manual on Positive Behaviour Support. The approach recognises that challenging behaviour occurs in a physical and social environment and has a communicative function. The most effective intervention therefore takes a proactive whole of life approach, changing environments to support positive behaviour, teaching new skills, rewarding replacement behaviours and controlling consequences.
The positive behaviour support services offered by the Consultancy include:
- Completing a thorough individual ASD support needs assessment
- Developing a range of support strategies for people with an ASD documented in a written plan
- Training, coaching and supervision of staff responsible for implementing behaviour support strategies.
- Professional development workshops on contemporary evidence based approaches to ASD and positive behaviour support
A Contemporary and evidence based approach to behaviour support
The Consultancy’s work is underpinned by:
- Integrating deep knowledge about ASD with evidenced based positive behaviour support.
- Operating across a continuum of support that focuses on prevention of challenging behaviour
- Working as a collaborative team to develop a shared understanding and consistent approach
- Having shared long term and short term SMART goals
- Reliance on assessment and data for decision making using standardised assessments and measures
- Undertaking comprehensive behaviour assessments, including detailed analyses of functions served by behaviours of concern
- Developing workable, comprehensive support plans that focus on positive interventions
- Evaluating effectiveness including behaviour change, carer self efficacy, contextual fit of plans
- Ongoing support and follow up when needed.
Aspect Behaviour Support Consultancy staff
Drawing on the highly developed expertise of Aspect’s behaviour support specialist clinicians, clinical staff working with Aspect Behaviour Support Consultancy include psychologists, speech therapists, educators and case managers.
FURTHER INFORMATION AND SERVICE BOOKINGS
For further information about how Aspect Behaviour
Support Consultancy may assist your service and to
book a service, call the Consultancy on (02) 8977 8300